Friday 28 May 2010

My World of Flowers


Flowers...ahhhh....the smell, the colour, the endless possibilities.....

If you didn't know, I used to be a florist. My Ma and me had our own shop in Dorset.



We spent most Saturdays set up wedding venues, listening to the hustle and bustle as we gentle and happily made arrangement after arrangement for tables, cakes, churches, brides and sweet bridesmaids....it was hard work....but the best job I have ever had.



I found a few old photos on a memory stick today and it took me back.... to the excitement of the Dutch flower lorry turning up and being allowed on...to be engulfed by the scent, the colour and the vast array of flowers and greenery.


...I miss it... I miss seeing the delight on my brides faces...(the only downside to Vintage Magpie is the fact I am not there to see your reaction when you open that box)! It makes every bit of hard work worth it....
I enjoy the JOY that flowers bring...the make you smile, they make you happy, they make you swoon, and they bring back memories...



The wonderful Dutchman is a florist...and an excellent one at that!! He works in London and gets to create displays in the most amazing places....I am quietly envious...



He comes home with amazing stories, and big adventures...



It is a hard world for a florist today. You have to compete with the buying power of the huge supermarkets...the online growers...and the cheap low quality flower seller.
But their power still calls me...I work with the vintage flower of Vintage Magpie now...I use all my knowledge and experience and channel it into your bouquets....and I love it!
But a part of me will always be a Florist...


2 comments:

FIONA said...

Gorgeous pics and as ever,beautiful words, you are a poet :)

Kay said...

ahh!! Happy memories indeed..xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...