Tuesday 10 February 2009

Upcycling and drain driving


Wikipedia says..."Upcycling is a component of sustainability in which waste materials are used to provide new products. It is generally a reinvestment in the environment. "Upcycling is the practice of taking something that is disposable and transforming it into something of greater use and value."
I think this 'new' word shows just how far we are coming in the world of recycling. Like my Eco-Warrior friend, I have a hoarding habit, and never throw anything away. A trait I have discovered that my Dad has also. Having to move him into a new house last week, I now understand who I get it from!
But saying that, a few of his junk items I could have used yesterday, when I found that one of our drains was blocked and the water level was rising rather rapidly. We have an enclosed drain and the only way to get to it is through a window in the kitchen. The water was about 2 foot away from the window still.... and I could see it rising with the horrid rain...
Panic....Panic...Panic!!
I tried everything to unblock the drain, but couldn't remember exactly where the drain was!! frantically trying not to break my neck in the process, I has a long umbrella, a broom, and my bread bin holding the window open.... it was at this moment I wished I had dads galoshes, his long steel, heavy spike. The need to unblock this filthy drain was very high on my to-do list!
But the equipment was nowhere to be seen.
Drain driving was not an option... but would have been with Dads faithful galoshes!!
The call was made to my Wonderful Dutch Man. With me holding his legs while he dangled himself out of the window. He managed to poke and prod, and save the day! He is my Hero!!
We hoard things for a reason, and Dads words echoed in my ears "you never know when it will come in useful".
So I have to thank my Dad, if I didn't have his trait Vintage Magpie, might not of happened.
Remember if you have items that are tucked away in a drawer, broken, unused. Vintage Magpie can use them, making your bouquet more personal, and cheaper in the process!
Re-Use, Recycle, Re-Make. xxx

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...